Recently, when I was looking for a quick and easy lunch, I found the ingredients stashed in my pantry; a can of Cento solid pack light tuna and a jar of Zucchini Relish. Paired with some whole wheat bread, cheddar cheese, and a fresh tomato, these were all the fixings needed for a comforting, down-home style tuna melt.
Traditional tuna salads are often heavy on the mayonnaise, fat and calories. By adding the zippy relish to the mix, it lightens the mayonnaise amount, and makes for a real taste treat. Using grated Cheddar cheese, instead of a thick slab, reduces the calories even more. The grated cheese uniformly covers the tomato slices, and delivers that perfect cheese flavor in every gooey bite.
Seafood, the health food from our oceans, is an excellent source of protein that is low in calories and fat. In our western-style diets, seafood is the most significant source of omega-3 fatty acids. Numerous studies have shown that eating two servings of seafood a week, or about seven ounces, has tremendous health benefits, like lowering the risk of heart disease, and preventing and controlling diabetes.
Although there is still research to be done, there are other interesting potential health benefits from the consumption of omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oils, like slowing the development and growth of cancer cells. Omega-3 fatty acids have also been shown to increase resistance to asthma attacks, interfere with the onset of migraine headaches due to blood vessel dilation, and slow the progression of kidney disease.
Omega-3 fatty acids, or brain food, are essential in early human development, and vital throughout your life. But all these health benefits are just an extra, as my Tuna Melt was love at first bite.
Tuna Melt: Love at First Bite
- 1 5 ounce can chunk light tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons Zucchini Relish
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded or grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the broiler or toaster oven.
- In a small bowl, combine the tuna, relish and mayonnaise. Divide the mixture evenly and spread on the toasted whole wheat bread. Top with the tomato slices and sprinkle evenly with the shredded cheese. Place the sandwiches on a baking pan and broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Makes 2 servings.