THE PERFECT POT OF BEANS
TOOLS: 1 large mixing bowl (12 cup capacity or larger) 1 strainer or colander 1 ovenproof covered casserole or bean pot (8 cup capacity or larger)
- 2 cups dried beans (Yellow Eye, Great Northern, Navy)
- 8 cups water
- teaspoon Herbs & Spices (1 bay leaf 1dried thyme, 1dried mustard)
- 8 ounce jar Apple Maple Butter
- 1 small onion chopped or sliced
- 4 tablespoons fat of your choice (vegetable oil, bacon fat, salt pork, coconut oil, butter.)
- Hot water to cover beans
- Sea salt, to taste
- Pour 8 cups of water into a large mixing bowl. Add the 2 cups dried beans. Allow beans to soak at room temperature for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain the beans and return to the bowl. Stir in the herbs & spices, chopped onion, Apple Maple Butter and four tablespoons fat. Spoon the mixture into the covered casserole or bean pot.
- Cover the bean mixture with hot water. Bake in a 300-degree oven, checking the beans and covering with more water as necessary. Bake until beans are tender and the skins start to split, about 6 hours.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt if needed.
- Serve, or spoon into containers and refrigerate or freeze. Makes about 5 ½ cups beans.
Make it even easier by using Cheryl's Pot of Beans Kit.