Lemon Cake with Spiced Peach Glaze
This delicious, melt-in-your-mouth, light and lemony cake with Spiced Peach Glaze is perfect to slice and serve with morning coffee or afternoon tea.
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
For the Glaze
- 1 cup Spiced Peach Butter
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8-inch by 4-inch loaf pan.
- Put the butter in the bowl of your electric mixer. Add the sugar, and then the lemon zest. Use your fingers to work the lemon zest into the sugar. Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs. Add the yogurt, baking powder and baking soda. Beat to combine. Add the flour and beat well. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 35 – 40 minutes.
- To prepare the glaze, combine the preserves with the lemon juice (and sugar, if desired) in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until glaze is reduced to about ½ cup. If desired, strain the mixture through a sieve to remove the bits of fruit. Pour ½ of the glaze over the cooled cake and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Use the remaining glaze to dribble on cake slices when serving.
- Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 278 calories, 3 grams protein, 47 grams carbohydrates, 9 grams fat, (0 grams fat), 158 mg. sodium, 1 gram fiber