Always searching for new recipes ideas, a special on a restaurant blackboard caught me eye, and inspired me to create this recipe for Chicken Parmesan Quesadillas. Our family loves quesadillas. They are a quick and easy meal to prepare. I like to keep the pantry stocked with jars of salsa and sauce, and a package of sprouted grain tortillas in the freezer.
The key to preparation is to have all components ready before starting to cook. In this recipe, I use cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces. Turkey or rabbit would work well also. For body and seasoning, sauté some onion and chopped peppers, then combine with the chopped chicken and your favorite marinara sauce. Although I’ve yet to try it, I bet that chopped, frozen spinach that has been defrosted and drained would be a delicious addition.
To prepare the quesadillas, heat a large griddle or fry pan over medium heat. Heat one side of the tortilla, then flip it and spread with the filling and cheese. Gently fold in half so you have a half moon shape, and cook and turn until the quesadilla is lightly browned and the cheese nicely melted.
If you’re feeding a crowd, keep the quesadillas warm in the oven until ready to serve.
Chicken Parmesan Quesadillas also make good party food. Serve them hot off the grill, cut into wedges, with plenty of extra sauce for dipping.
Chicken Parmesan Quesadillas
- 4 10 inch whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 8 ounces cooked chicken
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped bell peppers (red green, or yellow)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups Classic Marinara 1 jar, divided
- 4 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons Grated Parmesan cheese
- Over medium heat, prepare a large fry pan or griddle large enough to accommodate grilling a 10-inch flour tortilla.
- In a medium fry pan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and peppers and cook until they start to soften. Stir in the cooked chicken and 1 cup Classic Marinara Pasta & Pizza Sauce. Set aside.
- Working quickly, heat one side on the flour tortilla, then flip over and spread 1⁄4 of the chicken mixture over the tortilla. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of cheddar cheese and 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
- Gently fold in half, and continue cooking and turning until the filling is hot and cheese is melted. Continue with each tortilla. Tortillas may be kept warm in a 200-degree oven before serving.
- To serve, cut each quesadilla into wedges and serve with heated Classic Marinara Sauce for dipping.
- Makes four servings.