Wrap these in foil and freeze for a quick lunch Reheat in toaster oven, on top of wood stove or engine manifold
- 1.5 cups chopped broccoli
- 1.5 cups ricotta cheese
- 1.5 cups tomato sauce
- Fresh chopped herbs or dried herbs (rosemary, basil, garlic, thyme) to taste
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- One-pound pizza dough can be purchasedsupermarket
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. On a well-floured surface, let the pizza dough come to room temperature.
- Divide the dough into 6 portions, each about 2.5 ounces. Let rest.
- Peel the thick stems of the broccoli and Chop the broccoli into a small dice.
- In a medium bowl, add the chopped broccoli, ricotta cheese and tomato sauce.
- Stir to mix, and then season to taste with sea salt, fresh pepper, and herbs.
- Roll the dough into 8-inch circles.
- Measure about ½ cup of filling into each circle.
- Fold the dough over, and pinch the edges to seal. Cut a slit in the top for steam to escape.
- Bake on a sheet pan, or directly on an oven stone, until the filling is bubbly and the dough is golden, about 12 – 15 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Makes six calzones.
Nutritional information per calzone: 249 calories, 12 grams protein, 35 grams carbohydrates, 7 grams fat, 464 mg. sodium, 3 grams fiber.