We love to make pizza at our house. The ingredients are readily available, the hot oven makes the kitchen nice and warm, the variations are endless and allow for creativity, and it’s just good, nutritious food. One recipe we’ve been enjoying lately is Black Bean Nacho Pizza.
The pizza is easy to prepare with purchased dough from the supermarket, or you can make your own dough in a bread machine. For additional time savers, be sure to stock your pantry with canned black beans and roasted red peppers, olives, jalapeños, and Emily’s Taco Salsa. We like to use cheddar cheese, but mozzarella or asiago cheese taste great too.
Black Bean Nacho Pizza is rich in flavor, high in fiber, and chock full of nutrients. Think of building a tray of nachos, only atop a partially-baked whole-wheat pizza crust. The pizza is then finished in a hot oven for a rich, over-the-top treat. Serve with a green salad, applesauce, and a frosty glass of beer!
Black Bean Nacho Pizza
- corn meal for dusting pizza pans
- 20 ounces whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup canned roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup Emily's Taco Salsa
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions or leeks
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- Yogurt or sour cream and more salsa, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 430 degrees.
- Divide the bread dough in half. On a well-floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 12 inch circle. Fit each piece onto a pizza pan that has been sprinkled with corn meal. Bake in the oven until the dough it is just starting to brown and has started to harden. Remove from oven. Freeze or refrigerate one pizza shell for use at another time.
- In the bowl of your food processor, pulse together the black beans and canned roasted red peppers. Add Emily's Taco Salsa.
- Spread the mixture on top of the pre-baked pizza shell. Sprinkle the cheese over the beans, then sprinkle the scallions, and chopped black olives and some more Emily's Taco Salsa over the top.
- Return pizza to oven and bake until the cheese has melted and is bubbly. Remove and cut into eight wedges.