Best Lasagna Ever Recipe
This recipe comes to me from Caitlin Hunter, owner of Appleton Creamery. She makes a delicious artisan ricotta from Sheep’s milk, as well as delicious goat cheeses.
- 1/2 pound lasagna noodles (9)
- 1 jar Pasta and Pizza Sauce
- 1 pound artisan, Maine Riccotta
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound artisan, Maine sausage
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch non-reactive pan. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling water until al dente.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta, 2 eggs, ½ cup parmesan cheese, and 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
To prepare the lasagna
- To prepare the lasagna: spread ½ cup sauce on the bottom of the pan. Arrange 3 cooked lasagna noodles over the top.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce (about ½ cup) over the top of the noodles. Arrange the sausage slices over the noodles, then top with ½ of the cheese sauce. Add another layer of noodles, ½ cup sauce, and the remaining cheese sauce. Top with the last layer of noodles, and spread the top with the remaining pasta & pizza sauce. Sprinkle the 1 cup mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake until brown, bubbly and set. About 45 minutes or more. Allow to cool before cutting into pieces and servings
Note: This lasagna freezes well for another meal!