This has been a busy week of spring-cleaning here at Rabbit Hill, including the root cellar. Now that the nighttime temperatures are finally above freezing, the granite-lined crawl space beneath our home that stores winter vegetables is moderating toward temperatures of almost 50 degrees. This is when the potatoes start to sprout and the carrots grow tops.
The tubs of remaining apples, carrots, turnips, daikon, parsnips, beets and cabbages are hoisted into the kitchen and sorted. Rotten and decomposing veggies are composted, and those with large blemishes are processed quickly into soup and stock, or become rabbit feed. What remains, stored in a second refrigerator in the garage, will last us into early summer when the garden and markets are abundant with fresh fruits and vegetables again.
The inspiration for this salad comes from Eating Well magazine. With the entertaining season right around the corner, I’m on the scout for easy salads for cookouts, picnics, and family gatherings. This salad boasts a colorful blend of red, green and orange accented with toasty sunflower seeds. Peanuts would be good on this also. Ground cumin and cinnamon give these crunchy fruits and veggies an exotic flavor.
My request for a Mother’s Day outing this year is to picnic on an island. We’ll pack a loaf of bread, some local goat cheese and sausages, and Apple, Carrot and Cabbage Salad into a basket. Add a bottle of red wine, Black Dinah chocolates, plates, glasses, cutlery and linens to complete this festive repast. Winds and seas permitting, we’ll paddle the kayaks to the island of our choice and enjoy our meal, thanks to Mother Nature.
Apple, Carrot & Cabbage Salad
- 3 cups shredded or grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped red or green cabbage
- 2 apples hopped into bite-sized chunks
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds lightly toasted
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine or champagne vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1- tablespoon fresh orange juice
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, cumin and cinnamon. Season to taste with sea salt and fresh pepper. Add the carrots, cabbage and apple. Stir gently to coat. Add the toasted sunflower seeds and cilantro leaves. Serve with the lime wedges and more freshly ground pepper. Makes six servings.